Everest, Part 1: The Most Dangerous Airport in the World

In Nepal, Mt. Everest stares out at you from every bookstore and postcard shop- there’s even an Everest brand of beer (we prefer Gorkha).

Perhaps it was inevitable that we would catch a bit of Everest Fever ourselves.

The first step on the path toward Everest is a flight to the tiny Tenzing-Hillary Airport. Please make sure your seatbelts are fastened and return your tray tables to the upright position…

11 Responses to Everest, Part 1: The Most Dangerous Airport in the World

1. Margaret says:

ok…that film of the plane taking off made my tummy turn over!!!!! Yikes!!!! I’d have to close my eyes….

2. Terri says:

Ken and Karen, can’t believe all of the totally amazing places you have been to and what you have experienced. Hope you both are doing well – I’m still enjoying your trip very much.

3. Scott Schroeder says:

You two are nuts! That’s all I have to say. Wait—- was there a toilet on the plane or did you just wear depends?

4. Chris miller says:

That was a great video. I had seen the raw footage and I love what you did with it!

I knew this one was being watched by an Official Airplane Geek, so I put in some extra effort. Glad you liked it!

5. Jerry Schneider says:

Great video.

History Channel produced documentary on 10 most dangerous airports in the world and the Tenzing-Hillary Airport is indeed No. 1. You can search for the documentary on YouTube.

Yup, I read about that documentary as I was doing my research. I’ll have to watch it and see if their coverage is up to Next Stop: World standards.

6. Erica says:

Definitely a near-winner in Most Dangerous Airports. Taking off is SO much more frightening than landing in my opinion. Also, check out the YouTube videos of the Juphal airstrip (where I just did my recent trek). Same as Lukla, only UNPAVED!