Durian: King of Fruits

It’s spiky. It’s stinky. People crowd around fruit stands to buy it.

They call durian the King of Fruits. So how does it taste? Time to find out.

9 Responses to Durian: King of Fruits

1. Bob Gregory says:

Consistancy of cotton and tastes like a rotten almond? I’ll pass. Thanks for “taking one for the team,” now the rest of us know!

2. Randel McGee says:

The only durian I have had on my visits to S.E. Asia was in candy or cookies and was thus processed to be palatable. I have not dared to try it…just like I won’t try Japanese natto (sp?), the fermented bean paste. The food court in your background brings back so many memories! Have fun! Be safe!

Hey Randel!

We tried durian ice cream and even that was pretty wild! The food courts in Singapore and Malaysia were quite fun!

Cheers,

Karen

3. Dee Braaksma says:

Doesn’t look that inviting to me at all!

4. John Humphriss says:

Andrew Zimmern from the show ‘Bizarre Foods’ on the Travel Channel did a segment on the Durian. I remember him saying that some compare the taste/smell to rotting flesh. Ummmm…pass.

Rotting flesh?! I wouldn’t go that far. It would probably hurt tourism (slightly) if the streets of KL smelled like rotting flesh.

You’ll have to wait a couple months for our report from Veranassi, with its burning flesh.

5. Margaret Trissel says:

Had seen the Zimmern episode that dealt with durian…I think he spit it out! Love Ken’s comment about Nature’s warning!
    Have fun and stay safe!

Zimmman spit it out? I am surprised! It is pretty hard to swallow. Yet it is fun watching those who relish in the taste. Cheers!

Karen